Sunday, March 11, 2012

Time





I took some time out today for a ride. And I thought about time as I rode. I thought about how my ride, as I was experiencing it (and what 'thing' is a ride other than an experience?) was not something happening primarily in the present moment nor the present space, but was an experience of being stretched through time. The ride is a ride-towards, always with some sense of the future driving it. The interesting thing is that I don't know that future beforehand; and I don't just mean that I cannot predict the future but that in my case I do not know where I am going - which fork in the road I will take - until I reach it and make a choice that, when I get there, is either obvious, or which feels arbitrary even as I commit to it. So the ride as an experience of being projected into the future is of a future which has no clear projection.





It's a bit like the creek I stopped at, really. There is a present moment which is such a rich thing, but there is a going somewhere which is a vital part of what is now.




Might I recommend some wonderful photography from a fellow rider's blog.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant as always. I like the most the shadow play on the third one. It looks so warm in your neck of the woods. Meanwhile we can't get rid of the rain over here.

    ReplyDelete