Friday, October 29, 2010

Molesworth - Dropmore Road

I began today's ride by seeking comfort and relaxation. That is, I chose the route I often do, to Yea and back via Kinglake. It felt a little greedy and indulgent to go out, after last week's ride. But then, is there a rule against creating as many good moments as you can in life? I love to ride. And the forecast was 28 and sunny!





Beyond Yea I travelled along Killingworth Road. And yes, it is to die for. Unsealed, a mixture of clay and loose gravel, it follows the Goulbourn River which sits below it - the earth falls away from the road. Where its route departs from that of the river's, the drop continues and one looks onto a valley of green dotted with cattle. Cockies en masse break into flight as you pass. My bike held the road easily, at times aided by my standing on the footpegs to negotiate thicker gravel.







I had intended to ride to Yea and back without deviating, but the call of these roads, on this kind of day, was too much. Killingworth road re-connects with the Goulburn Valley Highway ten kilometers further on, and I would have returned to Yea, but in that moment when I saw a gaggle of slow-moving traffic from Yea and had to make a decision, I turned the bike left and accelerated to speed away from the town, toward further adventure.

Before long I came to Molesworth-Dropmore Road and there was no question I would turn down it. I sped across its loose pebals at 60kph, slowing little even for corners.

The road twisted and rose into mountains. In places it was cut out of the hillside, producing a wall of stone to one side. When a kangaroo jumped in front of me further ahead I felt the joy of motorcycling: in motion, in a world that is in motion. I could have photographed every turn. Instead I stopped for a drink overlooking this:



Everywhere was alive with colour.


The road continued. Its surface shifted from gravel to hard clay to a sandy soil, which I loved the most because it offered sure grip and yet was soft and smooth.






Finally the road came to an end and met the sealed Caveat-Dropmore Road


and I looked back to where I had come from.


Caveat-Dropmore Road twists and turns and offers the pleasure of opening up the throttle on tar, smoothly moving through the rev range, banking this way and that, up and down, on a perfect ribbon of road framed by sunlight and rich green bushland. What started out as nothing, a simple relaxation-ride, turned in to one of those memorable days.

2 comments:

  1. Cool report Matthew, just what looking for . Not sure when posted. Looks doable by bigger road bikes ? Eg Ssv 1000?? Ta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's quite a good surface so I reckon you'd be fine on bigger bikes with road tyres.

    ReplyDelete