Saturday, July 25, 2009

Strathbogie....

I spent yesterday out on the road. I headed north up the Melba Highway to Yea. This made for a rather frustrating start to the day - I was impatient because I needed to make quick time in order to ride certain regions north of Bendigo, but road works combined with traffic meant that it was a full two hours before I arrived in Yea. Having lost my scarf I was freezing cold, the newspaper which I wrapped about my kneck failing to adequatley serve its purpose. So after lunch in Yea, and with a revised, more humble plan, I headed north and at Kanumbra turned west into the back roads that lead through Gobur, Creightons Creek, and on to Euroa. From there I headed out to Strathbogie and then finally - after previous failed efforts - found the sealed road that lead from there to Merton and down to Yea.

Just before joining the Melba, here is the view looking from Christmas Hills out onto Yarra Glen.


Here is the township of Gobur.


Near Creightons Creek I was drawn to explore a side road. You can see how green the mid-winter land is:








The land flattens out somewhat just before Euroa.



Here are some photos as I rode into the mountains on the way to Strathbogie. It was very cold up there, as it is above the snow line.




As the day merged into dusk I headed down a back-road from Strathbogie, hoping it would connect with the main road back to Merton. This road was quite long and visually eventful, and I almost feared as I rode it that it would fall dark and that I was on a road to nowhere, as so many of these roads are. I stopped at one point, where I found a small weirconnected to a creek. In the distance in the first photo you can see a toilet block. It suggests to me that camping might be allowed, so I might come and stay here. I have already picked out a plush self-inflating mattress and a swag-style tent by which I will set up on my bike for cheap touring.




As I rode along during the day I had thought several times to stop and take a photo, but it had occured to me that, as a still, this scene would look no different to many others I had photographed. The flux of things in motion is an irreducible part of the beauty I experience on my rides, and that is part of what makes the motorcycling experience an irreducibly wonderful thing. It is through this motion (as well as the exposure it involves) that the experience of the landscape which it offers is unique.

Later this week I hope to go see a member of my club who has offered to introduce me to sidecars. I have been offered of these

for $1500, which I intend to hook up to the SR500. This will add a new dimension to my riding, and will allow me to explore endless stretches of dirt roads (or light Mallee sand roads) with ease and in any weather. On every ride I often want to turn down an unsealed road, but cannot do so for any great distance on two wheels because I am not very good on the dirt. I look forward to a new side of riding being opened up.  I also look forward to bringing friends along on my rides, to share with them what it is that makes me so passionate about riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment